Tuesday, December 13, 2005

ants, and tests, and planes, oh my!

i'm again preemptively posting before kate-berry tells me i have to or she'll no longer be my friend. actually, she has never said that but when i was four i had this friend--brianne--who told me she wouldn't be my friend unless i stood in this huge ant pile in front of her house. apparently as a four year old i was more literal-minded than i am now so i stood there while ants crawled up my legs and bit me. then i cried until brianne's mom rescued me. it was a sad, painful day, full of lessons about not letting insects bite me or taking orders from friends. now i just argue with them and they're like, oh my god you're difficult. and i'm like, i know. and then i laugh. (it's because of the ants!)

now that you people know that i'm not falling for the "i'm not going to be your friend anymore" trick again, we can move on: yesterday i took my final exam for my statistics course, so i'm almost but not quite done with this class. i still have two classes to attend this week, bleh. i'm not even sure i was supposed to take my test, but if no one--like the professor, the only person who knows this particular bit of information-- is going to tell me when i should take my test, then i can't really be blamed for that. i stood in line at the testing center waiting for an empty seat and once my number was called (it was really wrong to have to stand in line and have my number called so that i could take a test, yes) i had to sit in a room full of smelly people. i'm sure that individually they didn't smell so bad, but once you put dozens of people people in a rather smallish room it's not so good. anyhow, i was able to concentrate on the numbers instead of the smell and finished my test in under two hours. the numbers only gave me a headache this time, they didn't make me want to cry or throw up. i bet grad school is going to make me want to cry and throw up. that's what i thought about while i took my test--i'm good at multi-tasking like that.

since i'm mostly done with school this semester, i can concentrate on more important things like getting over my annoying fear of flying before i have to get on a plane in 13 days. and then again in 16 days. really, i try not to think about it because the flying fear is very close to ruining christmas for me (how can i enjoy life when i have to fly twice in one week? can't.) but i'm reading a couple of how to get over your silly and irrational fear of flying books. they are sort of helping, except pilot-author dude keeps likening the mechanics of a plane gliding through the air to 1. paper airplanes and 2. balloons full of air. you know when you blow up a balloon and let it go and it flies around until it hits the ground? like that.

what dude doesn't realize is that for people who imagine the plane falling out of the sky while flying (i know that's mostly impossible, but this is an irrational fear to begin with and you wouldn't believe how many irrational scenarios i've come up with already) comparing real airplanes to paper airplanes and deflating balloons IS NOT A GOOD IDEA because both of those things crash to the ground when they're done flying. dumbass.

the one thing that has helped, however, is when pilot-author dude said to think of a plane as flying on solid columns of air. i like the solid part. i'll pretend that just because i can't see the columns of air doesn't mean they're not there and compleeeeetely solid.

1 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

susan: yes, i would comment.

i'm afraid to ask what the link is for. or, rather, WHY. WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO TELL ME?

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home