Friday, September 30, 2005

i'm just saying.

i know i'm probably going to catch hell for saying this, but eh. here goes:

for years, i have hated hated hated starbucks. with a passion, and on a matter of principle.my reasons for not liking starbucks include that they're taking over the world, kinda like wal mart, which i similarly can't stand--also on a matter of priciple--and because they seem kinda blah in relation to interesting, local coffee places (which i generally love, also also on a matter of principle. shut up. my reasons don't need to make sense.)

also, i worked for caribou coffee when i lived in north carolina and my hatred of starbucks was further reinforced because they are caribou's number one competitor. guess who's number one? that's why we had to hate them. ok.

so. there's a starbucks down the street from me that i have started frequenting because, obviously, it's down the street from me. closer to my house, however, is a local coffee place that i started going to before i started going to starbucks. and i'm supposed to (in my mind) like the local place more because they're not corporate. they're not starbucks. and for awhile i did. but not anymore.

local place is dirty & sometimes they get my order wrong & they always charge me different prices for the same damn order. it's kind of like a game, guessing how much they're going to charge on a particular day. it varies depending on who's working. anyhow, the people at the local coffee place are generally nice and stuff, and not because they were told they have to be or they'll be fired. so i wanna like them more.

but starbucks! has a drive-thru! and they get my order right! and they're fucking fast! (did i mention the other place is super slow?) and their stores are clean! and--this is the best thing ever--when i go through the drive-thru and they're super quickly making my drink, and i've got my doggies in the car, they give the doggies dog biscuits! wheeee!

and every time they do that, and i leave the drive-thru, i hate myself because i don't have any reason to hate starbucks. i really like them.

also, and this is perhaps a very relevant point, in terms of caribou vs. starbucks, starbucks actually wins. i liked caribou's drip coffee better, but starbucks is nicer to their employees. i know this because starbucks employees make more than the $6 an hour i made while working my ass off at caribou. also also, my manager at caribou actually left to go work for starbucks, because they offered him way more money than caribou ever would. i should have known then that my loyalties were with the wrong corporate coffee chain.

really, i think its the drive-thru. these people hand me coffee and i don't have to get out of my car. and that's why i don't hate them anymore.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tammy said...

Don't hate yourself. I generally try to be anti-consumerism, anti-corporate also. But I draw the line at Starbucks. There's one by my house with a huge fireplace in the middle and a bunch of comfy chairs all around. It's the perfect place to read and/or study.

Here's some reasons not to hate them: The give benefits to their part-time employees (20 hours+). They support the local community through donation-matching, fundraising, etc. They work with farmers that use sustainable practices. And,.....their coffee is DAMN GOOD!

So whenever my fellow green-loving students give me a hard time about the Starbucks cup in my hand...I just shake it off. I do my part in other ways, and there are far more evils in this world then Starbucks. Sip and enjoy! :)

2:17 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

i'm glad i'm not alone. :) thank you both! it's good to hear that there are reasons (besides their accessibility) to like starbucks.

there is a peet's here, too--i like their coffee & their pumpkin bread--but they're across the street from UT and if you're not already on campus or on foot, there's no way to get there.

i'm also in favor of target over wal mart. perhaps because the target greatland has a starbucks in it. :)

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home