Thursday, March 09, 2006

this could work.

last week i wrote a paper about poverty for my social policy class. really, poverty--and its good friend, welfare--is the only subject i'm allowed to read or think or talk or write about anymore. in response to all the poverty talk, someone in one of my classes pointed out that we get it and the faculty are preaching to the choir. he had a point. it's too bad that all this education is wasted on people who understand these issues. if my instructors really want to be useful, they should go teach a class in washington. but that wasn't my point.

yesterday i got my paper back (with a much higher grade than i expected, yay me). in part of my paper i talked about how social programs obviously need more funding, but i don't see any good solution to that because the money has to come from somewhere and no one is willing to reallocate funds for any greater social good. obviously. because if we truly cared about fixing social problems we would have done it by now.

i thought i was being pessimistic, but my professor totally one-upped me. in the margin of my paper he wrote this suggestion for raising money: "tax on sales of crack and meth?"

1 Comments:

Blogger cchang said...

tax sales on crack and meth...that's awesome.

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home